One of my favorite locations for senior sessions here in Phoenix is a spot that's fun, memorable, quirky, and unique: the junkyard.
If you want a little edge to your senior session, think outside the box and infuse the unexpected by being photographed at the local junkyard. Why? So many reasons, including:
- A huge range of color and texture. Whether it's the cobalt blue Ford Mustang, the faded red tomato Dodge Challenger, or the butter-yellow and white Ford truck, you'll find an array of hues as your backdrop. Piles of steel parts, scattered wheels, hoods and doors lined up all in a row -- they all provide a rich, visual texture and add so much interest to your photos.
- No need to fight the crowds. Many times, the photographer hot spots are teeming with other photographers and their clients. Not to mention the patrons and visitors to the park, shopping center, nature trail, or whatever venue is being used. Many times at the junkyard you and the photographer are the only ones there. The site is HUGE and you don't have to worry about not getting the shot you want or a wayward toddler dashing behind you at any given moment.
- Incorporate your personality. Whenever I shoot a senior at the junkyard, I ask him or her to point out any vehicles that catch their eye. I even had one shoot where the senior and his mom recognized a car like the one his grandfather drove. A connection that adds even more meaning to the image.
- Wow your family and friends. When they see your images, their interest will pique. It's not every day you get a portrait taken at the junkyard.
- It will be memorable. Getting your senior photos should be not just about getting the images but should be a special experience you'll treasure and look back on fondly. Exploring a junkyard is something you're sure to remember.
So, what are you waiting for? Let's go explore the junkyard and take some fun photos along the way!